Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Silent Sunday

I spent this past Sunday morning exploring the Rothko Chapel and Menil Collection

I sat in silence observing Rothko's work. The paintings are all shades of black but my eyes interpreted many of the colors as dark shades of purple. It was a gloomy day and the inside of the chapel was fairly dark. I will return one Sunday when the sun is out to see his paintings in a different light.

I saw the surrealist exhibit at the Menil on the last day that it was on display. Surrealism is interesting though not my favorite.

There was one piece on display there, as part of a modern collection that I thought that I had stood in front of before a few years ago. I talked to one of the museum staff to ask if there was a way to track a painting to see what museums/collections it had been a part of. He informed me that the best way to find this information is to speak directly with the curator.

I looked up the artist today and I believe that the painting I saw Museum of Modern Art in Nice in April of 2011. It reminded me of my day in nice, the view from the top of that museum and renewed my appreciation of modern art.



The Broken Obelisk by Barnett Newman, dedicated to Martin Luther King Jr.

the walk between the chapel and the collection

iron works

expansive branches

the walk

child's play

No comments:

Post a Comment