Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Fountain of Youth







The pursuit of eternal or even extended youth has existed, for what I imagine to be, all of time. Resorting to potions and sorcery and surgeries and remarriages, humans have always sought youth in a variety of ways. I am not sure if this youthful desire stems from regret of appreciation of this simplistic stage of life that one can only reflect on after they have surpassed this point in life, or if it is a societal value impressed upon us by each other.  

I do not think that the search is unwarranted. I think this venture is natural and unavoidable, regardless of when or what inspires the hunt. I do think though, that many have pursued this venture for youth in every wrong way. This idea of youth, or at least what I perceive is the American idea of youth is ungodly superficial. Superficial youth is temporary. Fleeting. You can get botox injections and you can divorce your spouse in pursuit of younger meat, but the wrinkles will return and your new mate will too soon meet the mistress of old age. It is the same way we construct new buildings here. We build new beautiful towers; bask in awe of their new sharp corners and reflective features. Soon the edges begin to weather and their ardent shine diminishes. What becomes of this establishment we have built with faithful eye? We destroy it, for it is not young. It is not beautiful. It does not fit our twisted perception of youth, though only its beauty has but changed.  

We have been searching for is a physical, tangible, fountain of youth; Not physically a fountain, but a physical means of youth the fountain of lore promises. What we are missing is the intangible value of you, that which I believe is everlasting. Youth is vigor, freshness, and immaturity. These feelings at any age can transport you.  

The Fountain of Youth is real and I have found it. I have found it many times and I am still young. I am confident that as I age I will continue to find this fountain in the most unexpected places. 

Today Caroline sent me a link with the picture of the fountain above. This fountain is in the parks of the Schloss Schönbrunn in Vienna, Austria. I knew the fountain immediately. I know right now if I were to board a plane and land in Vienna which trains I would take to the entrance of the palace and which route I would walk through the gardens to arrive at this very fountain. I have visited this place when I was very young and I have visited this place many times in my early twenties. It was one of my favorite spots in Vienna and a select location to take guests.

This picture made me smile. It took me directly back to some of the most enjoyable times in my past. I have seen this fountain in warm sunny weather and on cold grey days. Each of them I loved. I look at this picture and recall the many times I have passed that fountain. The first time and the last time are equally imprinted upon my mind. Visiting this first spot truly in my youth at 9 years old and most recently at 22, it has an impressive impact on me. When I see this view of water and trimmed trees, I am transported to a time in the past, where I am younger, and happy and carefree. It is not a question of how old I was or whether I actually had a load of worries or work to do when I was in this spot, what I recall is the enjoyable times of the past, that which triggers the identification of youth.

It is the same feeling I get when I see  mountains, rivers, picture of siblings as children, of grandkids sitting in their grandparents lap, of backyard play sets. It is the same way I feel when I see an older Audi A4 when it drives past. It is a feeling I get when I talk to old friends about our times in elementary just the same as it is the feeling I get when I talk to friends about the things we did just a year ago. It is a feeling you see in older people when they talk about “when I was your age”. That is youth, and that is beauty. It is the memories and the associations and the feelings of unfiltered fear and joy and learning the what to make of each, of loving and living and exploring what is in between and it all keeps building and building and building

Stop stomping through the woods, tearing down brush and trampling the flowers in search of the fountain promising this eternal youth. Stop overlooking others on the cobblestone path as you march forward to the center of the city looking for a fountain from which to wet your old dry mouth. Stop staring longingly into the past contemplating how you would change your thoughts and actions and situations in those old moments, for they are set in stone.

Walk now, through those same woods, in adoration of those who walk with you. Do not see the tree limbs as branches blocking your course. Climb up the tree and swing from the branches. Hang up-side down and see the world in a different way. Examine the cobblestones as you walk. Wonder where they came from, how long they have been there and who else enacted these same wandering paces before you. In this moment, appreciate it. The present creates your youth and the memories that allow you to access it. Do not let each moment pass you without an ounce of appreciation for the fact that it is happening. Youth was a time of naivety combined with unlimited learning potential, continual exploration and simple bliss.

So what has changed for you over time? Nothing . This youth is eternal. This internal youth will never cease. You are forever naïve, forever learning, always exploring and unexpectedly surprised-  if you let yourself be.


No comments:

Post a Comment