Monday, August 19, 2013

The Vastness of the Universe and the Gravity of Experiential Ties



Sometimes when talking to others, whether close friends or acquaintances, you both discover that you were previously in the same place at the same time. Or maybe you were in the same place at different times, but the novelty of this place and the fact that you have both been there draws a certain spark between the two of you. Nothing in the present has changed, but it seems that there is a slight alteration in your past or in your relationship with that person. 

Last November I was working in Philadelphia and on the night of the presidential election was eating at the Marriott bar. I was easily the youngest person there by 20 years. I sat near the corner of the bar and ordered an arugula salad and a bowl of French onion soup.

Half of my soup had disappeared when a man sat down next to me with his friend to his left. He was likely in his mid 50s. After they had been there for awhile he asked me politely if I knew if there was a Best Buy near. I told him that I wasn’t from the area, but that I would Google it for him. This wasn’t a sarcastic “let me Google that for you” as he had an accent and I figured his phone may not have network access. 

There was no Best Buy near. He let me know that he and his friend were in town from the Netherlands for an electronics convention and wanted to purchase a few tablets because they were less expensive in the states. I told him that I worked in tech and he inquired further. It turns out that he had worked for years as a project manager implementing SAP projects around Europe and his specialization was materials management. Small world, I implement (or try to) SAP also with a specialization in materials management.

We then moved on to discuss the fact that I had studied for a semester in Austria and he said he has spent some time there while managing a project just outside of the city. He began to tell me about his favorite little restaurant and heuriger near the center of the city. I finished his sentence with “Zwolf Apostelkeller” and proceeded to list the reasons why that too was my favorite restaurant in Vienna. This restaurant is very old but very unassuming. 

It was getting late by this point and I left back to my own hotel. As I walked back I had such a strange feeling of community and commonality with this foreign man who was much my senior. I couldn’t help but think of how many people in the world we are meant to meet and never do. I supposed if we are meant to meet them we do, but then there are those that would be so worthy for us to meet yet we are never introduced by fate.

I like to think of these things but am not so much as bothered by them. Which brings me to my closing thought. A quote in which I find comfort and consolation:

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.”
Asha Tyson

No comments:

Post a Comment